Woodland Cemetery & Arboretum
Woodland was established in 1841 for the expressed purpose of creating a resplendent cemetery landscaped to support a rapidly growing city. Since its very beginning, Woodland has been the conservator of Dayton history and the culture of its people. With over 110,000 souls entrusted to its care, it is the final resting place of many of Dayton’s most distinguished residents including the Wright brothers, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Erma Bombeck, and Charles Kettering. The Romanesque Gateway, Chapel and administrative office are on the National Register of Historic Places. The Chapel has one of the finest original Tiffany windows in the country. The Arboretum, upgraded in status to a Level II Arboretum during the fall of 2017, is among the foremost green spaces in Ohio with over 200 acres adorned with 3,000 trees; including ten current or former state champions. Woodland remains an active part of the Dayton community as a popular place to walk, relax and enjoy. Foremost, it remains an active cemetery, serving over 1,600 burial and cremation families annually.