Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument
1120 U.S. Route 42 E
Wilberforce, OH 45384
Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument (CHYO) will be temporarily relocating its interpretation and education programs to the Bishop Reverdy C. Ransom Memorial Library on the campus of Payne Theological Seminary. The address of this new office is 1230 Wilberforce-Clifton Road, Wilberforce OH, 45384. The CHYO interpretation and education staff will be operating out of this office starting on Sunday, October 31st, 2021. This new, temporary location will serve as the visitor contact station for interpretive talks and activities while the Young family home is closed for renovation. This 15-month long renovation process will restore the home back to its period of national significance when Colonel Charles Young and his family occupied the home in the early to mid-1900’s. Charles Young Buffalo Soldiers National Monument, encompassing Young's home and adjoining farmland, was established by Presidential Proclamation 8945 on March 25, 2013. The national monument became the 401st unit of the National Park System. As a soldier, diplomat, and civil rights leader, Charles Young became a leading figure in the emergence of the United States as a world power. The national monument was also established to commemorate and honor the achievement of the Buffalo Soldiers, US Army regiments comprised of the 9th and 10th Cavalry and the 38th, 39th, 40th, and 41st Infantry (the four infantry regiments were reorganized to form the 24th and 25th Infantry in 1869). Congress established these all-black regiments in 1866 to help rebuild the country after the Civil War and to patrol the remote Western frontier during the "Indian Wars."
- Free Parking: